|LEGAL CENTRE FOR HISTORY OF SOUTH INDIA|
|ABOUT THE CENTRE|
The Centre is the brainchild of the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. (Dr.) V.S. Elizabeth who is a Professor History and has teaching experience of nearly 40 years. In the year 2020 the Government of Tamil Nadu sanctioned an initial grant to set up a Legal Centre for History of South India at TNNLU and the Centre was established in the same year. The Centre is located in the capital of the Cholas in the Sangam period, i.e., in the 3 rd Century B.C. It passed through the hands of the Pallavas, the imperial Cholas, the Pandyas, the Delhi Sultanate, and the rulers of Vijayanagara. Tiruchirappalli was also a battlefield in the Carnatic Wars of the18th century during the administration of the East India Company.
OBJECTIVES OF THE CENTRE
● The main objective of the centre is to undertake research in the field of legal history of south India.
● To conduct conferences, seminars and workshops to promote teaching and learning of legal history.
● To attract and encourage students of Law to take up research n the field of Legal History of South India.
ACTIVITIES IN PROCESS:
1. Research Work on Ancient Water Laws and Policies of Tamil Nadu.
2. Seminar on Heritage Laws of India to be jointly organised by The LCHSI and Legal History Museum scheduled on 18 th April 2022.
3. National Conference on “Tracing the Idea of Justice from the pre-Independence period to the 75th year of India’s Independence” scheduled on 20 th August 2022.
4. National Level Workshop for the Faculty of Law and History on “Importance of Teaching Legal History in Law Universities” scheduled from 16-18 June 2022.5. National level Conference on Legal History of Tamil Nadu scheduled in the month of November 2022.
1. Prof. (Dr.) V.S. Elizabeth, Vice Chancellor TNNLU and Faculty In-Charge of LCHSI:email@example.com
2. Dr P. Kumar, Assistant Professor (History), TNNLU: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. V. Ravindran, Research Assistant: email@example.com
4. Mail Id of the Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org