The Centre for Study in Victimology at Tamil Nadu National Law University, has been set up in the Year 2021 under the guidenceship of Hon’ble Vice -Chancellor Professor, Dr.V.S.Elizabeth with the aim to contribute towards the interdisciplinary research in the field of Victimology and Victim Justice.
Fair and efficient Criminal Justice System is the supreme object of a society that creates public confidence for the protection of their rights against criminals. But in a contemporary welfare state where the accusatorial system is prevailing by providing certain rights to the accused, victims are completely overlooked. The emergent research in the field of victimology by putting the focus on the study of victim’s experiences and their needs. Taking into consideration the notion of reparative justice several amendments have been made in the India Penal Code 1860 and the Criminal Procedure Code 1973. In addition to that, The Legal Service Authority Act, 1987 has established the National Legal Service Authority, the State Legal Service Authority, and the District Legal Service Authority to provide justice to weaker sections of the society. But unfortunately, there are significant gaps in knowledge to understand the reason for
victimization,the rights of the victim, effects of crime on the victim’s health and wellbeing.
Objectives of the Centre:
The Centre has been established with the following key objectives:
• To promote research in the emerging areas of victimology as a multidisciplinary approach with subjects like criminology , sociology, psychology, gender study.
• To carry out research projects in the area of Victimology.
• To conduct, workshops, seminars in the field of Victimology.
• To create awareness from the perspective of restorative justice.
• To organize awareness programs on Victim Rights in collaboration with the Legal Aid Committee of the University.
• To bring out the publication of a journal and newsletter once a year.
• To organize training programmes for various wings of criminal justice system.
Tamil Nadu National Law University
Assistant Professor of Law.
Tamil Nadu National Law University.